In hair care the importance of product smell (or odor in some cases!) cannot be understated. Regardless of how well a product works if you absolutely hate the smell you are probably not going to use it or at least not repurchase it.
I generally classify hair product smells into one or more of the following categories:
- Sweet (fruity or berry like or tropical)
- Food (smells like cake batter or ice cream or hard candy)
- Hippie Stink like patchouli or other earthy herbally scents (the type that would disguise other less legal scents..not that I would know or anything)
- Floral (no need to explain this one)
- Chemical or artificial smell (to me common with many store bought products under $5)
- Citrus scents (e.g. lemon, orange, etc)
- Sour scents including bitter type
- Natural of undetermined origin
Now my favorites are 1, 2, or 6 for the most part. I don't mind the patchouli herbally scent if it smells more sexy than stinky and the floral scents if they aren't for a flower I don't like the smell of. My sniffer is really sensitive to some perfumes so much so that if I get in an elevator or walk down a hall after someone who has laid on the perfume really heavy I will have a sneezing, watery eyes, allergy type attack.
Here are my favorite and my worst products based on scent
Top 12 favorite products due to scent (not in any particular order) -- note products from the same company that have the same scent are classified as one product total:
- Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (#2 and pumpkin/spice--YUMMY!)
- Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent Treatment and Repairing Protein Treatment (#2 chocolate latte--OMG)
- Spiral Solutions Firm Hold Gel and Curl Enhancing Jelly (#1, 3, 6, and 8 notes)
- Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Smoothing Conditioner and Smoothing Gellie (#1-tropical fruit!)
- Sweet Nature by Eddie Dream Moisturizing Cream and Inspiration Shampoo and Growth Spray (#1 Berry like)
- Jessicurl products (any) in Island Fantasy scent (#1 but tropical)
- DevaCurl One C (#6 citrus but sweet as well)
- Darcy's Botanicals Natural Coils Curling Jelly (#6 citrus)
- Afroveda Shea Amla Cream (#3 plus musky-sexy!)
- Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana scent (#2 and 1--banana bubble gum)
- Oyin Whipped Pudding or Sweet Nature by Eddie Wisdom Cream (chocolate--nearly identical smell #2)
- Oyin Juices and Berries spray (#1)
So you can see from the list that I predominantly like #1, 2 and #6 as I mentioned)
So what made the list of my worst smelling products and am I still using them (I've marked NO or YES to whether I am still using them) ?
- Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Leave In and Curl Activator Spray - #8 Simply horrific NO
- Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Conditioner and Shampoo - #8 NO
- No Frizz Styling Cream - #5 NO
- Simply Curly Conditioning/Styling Pudding (#6 and #8 -- smells rancid to me) NO
- CHS Tweek and Curl Keeper (#5 in a major way) YES to CK and NO to Tweek
- Boots Curl Creme's (pink and white--very strong #5 and maybe #4 a little) YES
- Terax Crema and Life Drops (#5) YES
- Tresemme Silicone Free Conditioners (#5, #4) YES
- Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Gardenia scent (#4) YES
- Curls Ecstasy Asian Tea Conditioner (#8) YES
So you can see in many cases I will still use a product even if the scent turns me off. However the ones marked NO I would not use if they were my "Holy Grail" products--the smells to me are that bad.
So what do you think? What's the worst smelling product you use or don't use? Best smelling? I'm curious....